I love to cook! I have been a caterer and I am passionate about providing a comfortable atmosphere complete with excellent tasting food for those I love. The drawback: my yummy recipes are high in fat and don’t look good on me.

I want to try to compile great tasting food that is also healthy. Being accountable to you, the reader, will motivate me to continue my goals.

Here are my goals:

1. To be thin! OK, I am 56. Thin is out of my picture, but I want to be a comfortable size 10 or 12.

2. To enjoy the healthier recipes enough that they will remain a lifetime part of my cooking.

3. To reach out to others on a similar path.

Here is what I want to blog:
1. My road to a new and healthier body (weights and measurements).
2. Daily food and exercise along the way (pictures added).
3. The recipes and cost ($) of the food (calorie counts).

Beginning January 1, 2011, for one month I will try out a new low fat recipe everyday and blog my findings. Please share your thoughts. After 1 month, and I am successful, I would like to do a complete makeover on my yummy cook book.

Here I go!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

This Ham & Bean Soup was Sooooo Good! and only 208 calories per 1 1/2 cup serving.



This is some of the best soup that I have ever made. I soaked 16 ounces of Northern Great Beans this morning until noon and then put them in a pot with a ham bone that I had left over from Christmas Dinner. I cooked them all afternoon needing to add water about 3 times until about 4:00. When the beans were done, I removed the bone, and took off the ham and added about 2 cups more of the leftover ham. (I had it frozen since Christmas). Anyway, I added 1 cup of chopped green onions and 1 clove of crushed garlic. It was so good. I was going to add white onions, but I found some chopped green onions that Jennifer had chopped for me. I have never added green onions to soup before, but I will do it again and make it a permanent part of this recipe. Did I mention that it was good? Ron loved it too.!


The bread turned out good too. I just used my regular bread recipe exchanging whole wheat flour for the white flour and honey for the sugar.



Whole Wheat Bread - 120 calories per serving (each loaf sliced into 10 pieces)


2 cups warm water


4 1/2 -5 cups flour


2 TB instant yeast


1/4 cup honey


1/3 cup instant dry milk


1 egg


1 tsp salt


1. Mix warm water and 1 cup flour in mixing bowl.


2.Add egg, powdered milk, salt and honey. Mix well.


3. Add yeast and the rest of the flour. Mix until not sticky.


4. let rise until double in size


5. make into 2 loaves of bread, put into bread pans sprayed with Pam






No comments:

Post a Comment