I love to cook! I have been a caterer and I am passionate about providing a comfortable atmosphere complete with excellent tasting food for those I love. The drawback: my yummy recipes are high in fat and don’t look good on me.

I want to try to compile great tasting food that is also healthy. Being accountable to you, the reader, will motivate me to continue my goals.

Here are my goals:

1. To be thin! OK, I am 56. Thin is out of my picture, but I want to be a comfortable size 10 or 12.

2. To enjoy the healthier recipes enough that they will remain a lifetime part of my cooking.

3. To reach out to others on a similar path.

Here is what I want to blog:
1. My road to a new and healthier body (weights and measurements).
2. Daily food and exercise along the way (pictures added).
3. The recipes and cost ($) of the food (calorie counts).

Beginning January 1, 2011, for one month I will try out a new low fat recipe everyday and blog my findings. Please share your thoughts. After 1 month, and I am successful, I would like to do a complete makeover on my yummy cook book.

Here I go!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Good Old Goulash- 232 Calories per serving!

I was at the D.I. and I found a recipe book that I once had. It is called "Recipes to Lower Your Fat Thermostat". I liked the book but got rid of it when I felt that I had too many recipe books. Seeing it again brought back some memories about being on this particular diet that were good. I bought the book again (cost $1.50) and I am using some recipe's from it. Such as:
Good Old Goulash- Page, 58
This was dinner on Monday night. It was really good. 1 serving of the goulash is only 232 calories. The recipe serves 8 and it was really quite filling. Served with a side of a great salad, it was a really good and nutritious meal.

Here is the recipe:
1/2 pound lean hamburger
1 medium chopped onion
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 pint stewed tomatoes
2 tsp. chili powder
1 clove of fresh garlic crushed or chopped
1 cup whole wheat pasta

1.Brown hamburger, drain well. (I rinse mine in a colander under running hot water) Add onions and cook until onions become transparent.
2. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and stewed tomatoes.
3. Season with chili powder and garlic.







4. While this is simmering, cook pasta until tender. Drain and add to to meat mixture.


The rest of the family had a piece of whole wheat bread to go along with this dinner. I was not at home and did not have an accurate calorie count for my day, so I did not have the bread. I really felt full though.







Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. you even used wheat noodles? Oh Boy!! I am going to try this one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete